Sunday, June 27, 2010

"Where's my family??"

When I was 19, I left town for three weeks to be in the cast of the Hill Cumorah Pageant in upstate New York. Upon my return, as I walked up the front sidewalk to my family's home, I discovered.....the house was empty!! My family had moved while I was gone. Now this was way before cell phones, so they had no way to warn me, but I swear there was no discussion about moving before I left. I had no idea where to find them, so I called my grandma and asked her, "Where's my family???" She said, "Oh, they moved out to West Mountain". Turns out my dad decided my five younger brothers didn't have enough to do, so he bought a farm with 15-acres of apple trees. There was a small home on the property with three bedrooms. My parents had a room; my grandpa, who was living with us at the time had a room; and my five brothers shared one room. That left the couch for me on the weekends......at least for the next year until I was married. Every fall I remember those crisp, juicy apples we could pick right off the trees. At some point, mom and dad moved back into town, but our West Mountain farm has always remained in our memories and my brothers learned the value of work, just the way dad had intended.

2 comments:

  1. The thing I love most about your brothers is that they are some of the hardest working men I know. The other thing I love about them is they know how to have more fun than anyone I know. They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something similar to this happened to Travis. His family moved when he was like nine or ten but somehow he didn't end up in the car when they left. They got to their new place unloaded the truck and took a nap before they realized they were short a kid. When they got back to the house they found him on the porch still crying.

    ReplyDelete