Friday, July 16, 2010

Livin' in the South

Living in the south has been a learning experience.....a whole new language. I remember when we first moved here, I went to the school to register our son and as we walked in, a woman came running down the hall yelling, "Ho de doe, ho de doe, ho de doe!!!" What in the world??? Then I realized she wanted me to "hold the door". There are southern words that you just have to learn to understand. For instance, the word, "jeet". Which means "did you eat" as in "jeet yet?" Then there's the proper use of the word "ya'll"...."ya'll" is singular, "all-ya'll" is plural, and "all ya'll's" is plural possessive. I also learned that women in the south don't have PMS, they have FTS....they're "fixin' to start". If the weatherman says we might get a dusting of snow, everyone runs to the grocery store to stock up on bread and other necessities.... which includes a whole lot of movies cuz the schools will be closed for at least a week. My boss asked me once what he was supposed to wear to a meeting. I told him "a collared shirt"....he asked, "what collar??" You gotta love the south!! especially the southern people....they're the best people God ever put on this Earth!!

1 comment:

  1. Growing up here I didn't really notice that stuff a lot...but then I went to the mountains and learned a whole new language! Youns (pronounced yuns) is the one word by far that made my skin crawl whenever I heard it! I guess going back to Utah will be like re-learning a previous language after being immersed in this one for so long :-)
    ps- found your blog and am very excited to have an additional way to keep up with you and the hubby since you're leaving! Will miss you!!!
    <3 Ariel

    ReplyDelete