Friday, September 10, 2010

Clam Chowder

Today I went with my sister-in-law to her family's cabin in the mountains. The elevation there is 9,000 feet. The temperature was 40 degrees when we arrived. The leaves are changing colors and it was a beautiful sight, with white barked aspen trees, pine and oak trees. The air had a crispness to it and made us look forward to the coming fall weather. I immediately thought of clam chowder, one of our favorite fall meals. I'm going to have to make some tomorrow. Maybe you should, too!!

Clam Chowder:
4 cups diced potatoes (I cheat and use frozen hash browns)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cans minced clams
Simmer together until soft.
Make sauce:
2 sticks butter
1 cup flour
Melt butter and stir in flour to form a roux
Stir in one quart half and half. Stir continuously until thickened.
Add 2-3 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper
Add to potatoes, etc. Stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment