Friday, October 8, 2010

Technology

I wonder if Thomas Edison, Benjamin Franklin and others knew what they were starting. Did they know that someday people would be so dependent upon electricity that we would go into withdrawal without it? Case in point, I switched internet providers and while registering over the phone, my cell phone battery died. I took my blood pressure medicine while it was charging. I was beyond frustrated and I stopped to realize how addicted I am to all my gadgets. We take every modern convenience for granted and when we are deprived of them for any amount of time, we freak out!! At least, I do!! As for me, I'm about ready to join the Amish. Their lives seem so simple. So free from the craziness we inflict upon ourselves. Modern technology is wonderful, but at what cost? Oops, I gotta go, I just received a text message.

2 comments:

  1. uh....I think you should be directing your angst to Benjamin Franklin...though I think it was really some guy in France who discovered electricity and Franklin learned how to harness it. Edison pretty much invented uses for it-the light bulb and 'talking machine,' etc.
    But, good rant! I enjoyed it! I agree with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny, Mom. I think your anti-biotics are affecting you. ;) Or maybe Utah public schools taught you that Edison invented electricity. I, however, am a product of schools near Philadelphia, where Mr. Ben Franklin is a hero. I would trade all gadjets in for a quiet life...wouldn't that be nice?

    ReplyDelete