Thursday, March 18, 2010

Stratagems

Table Monster: Another stratagem I used at our home was the Table Monster. The Table Monster sat on our dinner table every night and was awarded to the family member with the worst table manners. The awardee had to do the dishes. This worked really well for all of us except one...my husband....who won the Table Monster every meal. To this day, he gets up and does the dishes as a matter of habit. :)

The Smiley Store: This one works especially well with the youngsters. I made a bunch of "smilies"....construction paper circles with smiley faces.
Anytime I caught one of the children doing something nice or something without being asked, he or she would receive a "smiley". Once a month, I would open my "Smiley Store" where they could use their "Smilies" to "buy" inexpensive toys or treats.

Mom's Savings & Loan: As the children grew, I opened "Mom's Savings & Loan"....I even printed my own "cheques". I would post jobs that I needed to have done and how much I was willing to "pay" for that particular job. These jobs were outside of their normal chores, i.e., washing windows. When they had finished a job, I would write them a check from Mom's Savings & Loan. Then, whenever they needed money, I would cash their "checks". BTW, our kids never received an allowance. Instead, they were given food, clothing, and a place to live.

And, alas, when they turned twelve, they received their very own hamper, along with instructions on how to use the washing machine. Their clothes no longer appeared in the laundry still clean and folded. Their clothes were worn more than 5 minutes and they no longer cleaned their rooms by picking up everything and throwing it down the laundry shute. I no longer spent my life in the laundry room. We did have one problem, our youngest son would rather ride his bike to WalMart and buy new underwear than do his laundry. When he was married, I made him a quilt out of all his old boxer shorts. It turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself!!

1 comment:

  1. I like all the ideas you have posted here. Our kids start doing their own laundry at 12 as well.


    (my word verification is shank! LOL)

    ReplyDelete